How well do you know your ice? Have fun taking this quiz.
1. What is a piece of ice that breaks off from a glacier called if it’s between 1 to 5 meters above the surface?
Iceberg Bit Cube Growler
2. The polar ice caps, glaciers and those wandering icebergs contain about ___ percent of the world’s fresh water.
15 25 50 75
3. The transition from ice to water is melting and from ice directly to water vapor is:
Decrystallization Flocculation Sublimation Condensation
4. Which state in 2014 had the most hail damage claims?
Colorado Nebraska Texas Illinois
5. How many known solid crystalline phases of water are there?
17 14 11 6
6. What is the approximate increase in volume when fresh water turns to ice?
4% 7% 9% 12%
7. Are most types of ice more or less dense than water?
8. The oldest known major ice age was called
Huronian Cryogenian Sturtian Quaternary
9. What type of ice is often found in space?
Amorphous ice Frazil Ice Shuga Ice Nilas Ice
10. What is the visible outgas of an ice comet called?
Rosetta Coma Geyser Jet
11. Which rover photographed the Martian polar ice caps first?
Curiosity Spirit Opportunity Tumbleweed
12. The polar caps of Mars have been shown to contain seasonal layers of
Hydrogen Ice Nitrogen Ice Carbon Dioxide Ice Metallic Ice
Answers: 1. Growler; 2. 75%; 3. Condensation; 4. Texas; 5. 17; 6. 9%; 7. Less; 8. Huronian; 9. Amorphous Ice; 10. Coma; 11. Opportunity; 12. Carbon Dioxide Ice